Hospital Apologises to 38 Families for Appalling Care that Saw a Patient Starve to Death
An NHS hospital has apologised to 38 families after a patient starved to death and it left other dying people screaming in pain.
Alexandra Hospital in Redditch is writing to 38 families after a massive legal action that exposed years of bad practice, ranging from nurses taunting patients to leaving an elderly woman unwashed for 11 weeks.
In one of the worst cases, a man had starvation recorded as the cause of his death after being treated at the hospital for two months.
Jeremy Hunt, the Health Secretary, said last night that he was "disgusted and appalled" by what the families had been through, and that the Government was acting to ensure that failings in care were detected more quickly.Read More
Separated Twins in Good Health, Says Health Minister
Minister of Health Dr. Abdullah Al-Rabeeah said the condition of the twins he separated last Friday is stable.
Al-Rabeeah visited them at the King Abdul Aziz Medical City of the National Guard on Thursday.
A team led by Al-Rabeeah undertook the operation on Abdullah and Salman at the order of Custodian of the Two Holy Mosques King Abdullah.
The parents of the twins were also present during the minister's visit.Read More
Fungal Meningitis Patients: A Long Road to Recovery
Johnnie McKee thought she was out of the woods.
McKee, a 72-year-old grandmother of four from Bethpage, Tenn., was one of nearly 14,000 people who found out this fall that they'd been exposed to tainted medications made by the now shuttered New England Compounding Center.
In her case, the threat came from a steroid shot that she'd had on Sept. 7 to relieve some nagging back pain.Read More
MAKKAH Makkah Municipality announced full mobilization to combat dengue, after the death of a woman who was infected with the disease.
Residents have complained of stagnant water pools that provide the ideal germination location for mosquitoes, and called for immediate action.
Makkah hospitals recorded one death and a number of suspected infections of the virus.
Teams of the municipality branches have responded to complaints of residents, and began to intensify the spraying of pesticides. Areas that recorded infections will be targeted first.Read More
A Patch from a Cow's Heart Rebuilt my Liver: Pioneering Surgery Sees British Woman Saved by Bovine Ticker
A British woman has become one of the first to benefit from pioneering surgery that uses tissue taken from a cow's heart to rebuild the liver.
The operation brings the possibility of whole donor organs being taken from animals known as xenotransplantation ever closer.
Michelle Morgan-Grainger, 42, from Liverpool, was diagnosed with a rare form of liver cancer in October 2010. Doctors initially told her she could not be cured. But two months later, she underwent a procedure to remove the tumour in her liver along with a large portion of her Inferior Vena Cava (IVC).Read More
DAMMAM Doctors have voiced concerns about unlicensed healers and herbalists who sell herbal medicines in perfumeries and beauty salons.
They warned that these medicines cause dangerous complications and chronic diseases including cancer, hepatitis and renal failure, reported Al-Hayat Arabic daily.
They said the Ministry of Commerce and Industry, the Saudi Food and Drugs Authority and municipalities were to blame for allowing the proliferation of these medicines.Read More
The FDA has approved the blood thinner Eliquis to prevent stroke in people with atrial fibrillation.
AFib is the most common type of irregular heartbeat and affects about 3 million Americans.
People with AFib are about five times more likely to have a stroke.
Eliquis is approved only for use in people with AFib that is not caused by a heart valve problem. People with prosthetic heart valves should not take Eliquis.Read More
MAKKAH Forty-seven confirmed and suspected dengue fever cases have recently been reported in Makkah's Bat'ha neighborhood, health sources told Al-Madinah daily.
Al-Noor Specialist Hospital has received the most suspected cases, according to spokesman for Makkah Health Affairs Fawaz Al-Sheikh.
One of the residents living in the affected neighborhood told Al-Madinah the neighborhood has been infested with mosquitoes and accused the Makkah municipality of not doing enough to fight mosquito infestations in the area.Read More
Osteoarthritis, the wear-and-tear form of arthritis, affects one in two Americans during the course of their lifetime. Marked by pain, swelling, and reduced motion in the joints, OA typically strikes the hands, knees, hips or spine -- but any joint is at risk.Read More
Britain's First Hand Swap Op: Grandfather 'Ecstatic' After Ground-breaking 8-hour Transplant
Eight days ago Mark Cahill was living with a paralysed right hand.
Yesterday he was able to move his fingers for the first time in five years after becoming the first Briton to receive a hand transplant.
The operation also made history as the world's first when the original hand was removed during the same procedure. In the past, recipients have already lost the hand before the replacement could be found.
Mr Cahill, a 51-year-old grandfather from West Yorkshire, was deprived of the use of the hand when it became infected during a severe attack of gout.
He said he was ecstatic about the operation's success so far, and hoped to be able to return to work as a pub landlord.Read More